Thursday, February 25, 2010

How do I paint a basement floor that is concrete, but with cracks in places?

I live in an old home with a dirty dingy basement with cracks in the floor, I want to freshen it up by painting the floor, I need some tips for sealer and paint to use. As well, any ideas that may be useful for this type of project.How do I paint a basement floor that is concrete, but with cracks in places?
If you put a skim coat or even tile over it , there is a good possibility that crack will transfer thur those products. The cement must be very clean and dry to paint, Using a paintable caulk that will fill the cracks and take the movement is your best bet. You ll still see them most likely though.If no moisture problems on floor laminate is the cheapest ( next to paint or a stain) that you can do it yourself. GLHow do I paint a basement floor that is concrete, but with cracks in places?
You can buy stuff to fill in the cracks before you paint it.





I would tile it or carpet it if you don't have moisture problems. If it does leak when it rains, forget about the carpet.





You can buy indoor outdoor carpet that can help warm up the cold feeling that you will get from all that concrete. If they get wet, then hang them out to dry.
First clean the floor very well using some vinegar and water. After it dries vacume out the cracks and use Quickrete Gray Concrete Crack Seal. It comes in a 1 qt. bottle at home depot by the concrete. Fill your cracks....let dry and sand smooth. Vacume floor to get rid of all the dust.


Get a gallon of Kilz-It water-based primer tinted to the color you want to paint the floor or the color of the ';grout'; lines if you decide to use masking tape to make a design with the paint. Paint the floor with the primer. Let dry and apply another coat. I use 1 part epoxy for concrete floors. Home depot sells Behr and it was very easy to apply. Have it tinted to the color you want. I applied 2 coats with at least 16 hours between coats. After that I sealed it with 2 coats of water-based poly. It takes about 30 minutes to dry. Then I put 3 coats of ZEP floor sealer on....30 minutes between coats and finally 3 coats of ZEP Heavy Traffic Floor Finish with 30 minutes between coats. Let it cure for 72 hours before moving any furniture in. I used a large sponge for wiping grout off of tiles to apply the sealers. It worked out great.


I did this in my garage and I can drive on it with no problems. Clean with a PH Neutral cleaner like Murphy's Oil Soap.


http://ratemyspace.hgtv.com/snc/ViewItem鈥?/a>
If you can, it's probably better to get tile for the floor instead. That'll look better and probably be more comfortable on your feet than painted concrete.





Sorry that I don't have any actual paint-related advice, but if you can afford it I'd really advise tile (or carpet) instead.
Get some cement patch. mix with water according to directions and patch away. I used an oil base primer first then just pick up a concrete paint and you can get the store to mix it to your color choice. lowes or home depot associate can help you find all this stuff.
The best floor paint i have found at a resonable price is from thefloorpaint.co.uk





Its 拢40 +VAT (拢47) for a 20Litre Tin. From what i have seen most places charge that for 5 Litres.





This paint is good stuff and did the job for me. Drop them a email or ring them.





Just my advice.
fill the big cracks with non-shrink grout...paint over the little cracks as helloyello suggested...remember you cant make chicken soup out of chicken ****...
clean out the cracks and get some liquid glass and fill it .


flat latex paint will do great . wont need primer or sealant .
re'skim floor with cement even off then when dried use masonary paint of colour choice

No comments:

Post a Comment