Thursday, February 25, 2010

Remove old paint from concrete floor?

Any ideas on the best way to remove old ';stubborn'; paint from a concrete basement floor foundation. This stuff has been on there so long even a heat gun is almost useless.





Thanks for your helpRemove old paint from concrete floor?
sand blasting is the only sure and complete answerRemove old paint from concrete floor?
here my recipe for disaster


linseed oil on rags and a wire brush
Sandblasting is one of the best ways to remove this. Although it will leave some mess though.
Soak it in meths for a couple of hours then get the heat gun back on it.
Of the answers I read below, I'd say I agree with the sander best. If your basement is enclosed, power washing can create more problems than it solves. So will sandblasting. They are the most effective to do the job, but the cleanup is very labor-intensive. I have never been a fan of using heat to remove paint, and I certainly would clear away from using a solvent and heat. If it doesn't create toxic fumes or catch fire, it will most certainly leave a gooey mess. Although I think a nice big power sander is the best option, I would ask you what is your future plan for the floor? Are you going to re-paint? If not, why not just put down a water-barrier film, and cover with flooring or carpet, and forget the paint underneath altogether.
Pressure Washer is the ticket - oh and a wet dry vac - done this in several ';finished'; basements but be careful - go slow - lots of pressure not so much flow
try a hand held belt sander.

No comments:

Post a Comment