Thursday, February 25, 2010

I'd like to lay tile on my concrete porch, but it has layers of paint on it. How do I prep the surface?

It's my front porch which measures 38 x 8 ft It has a roof , but isn't enclosed.I'd like to lay tile on my concrete porch, but it has layers of paint on it. How do I prep the surface?
Here's the complete answer for you.





First of all, the old paint MUST be removed. The very best method is pressure washing it with a minimum of 2600psi water pressure. You can rent one if you don't have one. Do not purchase a piece of crap electric one, because it will not do the job. Remember, at least 2600psi.





Secondly, allow the slab to dry completely. After the slab is dry, take a tablespoon of water and gently apply it to the surface of the concrete. If the water soaks in right away, test the concrete again in 2 other places a few feet from where you did the first test. If the water soaks in all three places, then you are ready to tile. If the water beads up and takes a long time to soak in, then you MUST acid etch. If you determine you do not need to etch, go to step 4.





Third, purchase muriatic acid at any local paint store. Also purchase a respirator. Ask a sales person at the paint retailer to help you with the proper respirator. Do not use pool acid or any other acid! Follow the directions on the package for mixing. Usually it is 4 parts water to one part acid. You simply need to open the pores of the concrete. After you etch, rinse the acid off with that same pressure washer. Make sure you really delute the acid as you wash it off. Allow the concrete to dry 12-24 hours, depending on the weather.





Fourth, apply thin-set mortar and tile. Remember to apply the thin-set with a square notched trowel, the same thickness as the tile you are setting. I also recommend using a thin-set with an acrylic additive already mixed in for added adhesion, especially if you use that patio a lot.





Well, there you have it. I've been in both the paint and the tile business. It sounds like a lot of hassle, but if you want to enjoy that tile for a long time without having to worry about a tile popping up every so often, it's worth it to do it right the first time.





Good luck!I'd like to lay tile on my concrete porch, but it has layers of paint on it. How do I prep the surface?
Acid wash with muriatic acid.
Just sweep it real good..
I have done this before and in order to really do a good job, though not absolutely necessary, is to apply acid(muriatic acid) to the concrete.. let stand a while and then scrape off. Following this, let dry a day and then start your tiling
One thing about laying tile on a porch is that you have to remember how slippery it can get when wet and being outside that can be dangerous. Consider a rougher tile or stone that may be less slippery in an outdoor environment (a rougher surface might look better too, having a more natural outdoorsy look). You dont want anyone to get hurt.
strip the old paint,, to good concrete to apply the grout base too
Hey, I'd like to do the same on my back patio. Let me know when you find out. I searched the web but only found info on how to paint concrete. I assume you have a concrete porch. Sorry I couldn't be of any help.
Score the paint, etch the concrete with muriatic acid, clean with trisodium phosphate then lay the tile.

No comments:

Post a Comment